Monday, July 11, 2011

PB + J [J is for Justin]

Oh, Justin - - you and your nut butters! You and your squeeze packs!

Take any kind of food. Divvy it up and make “travel-size,” “to-go,” “snack-size,” or “minis” and I’m probably going to buy it. Why? Well, because it’ll probably make my haphazard lunch-packing easier. And they make portion-control, well, happen….

So there I am, about a year ago, taking my time in the aisles of a giant, clean, quiet, Whole Foods store near my new home when I get to the peanut butter section. Keep in mind that I force myself to buy the organic, natural stuff now because I’ve been convinced, but I remain annoyed that I have to keep the stuff refrigerated (I don’t like how it hardens and isn’t as easy to spread). And I turn a sour face every time I have to stir a layer of oil with ¾ of a jar full of what amounts to dry nuts. But I digress. Back to Whole Foods, circa July 2010. I find these:




That’s right - - little packs of nut butters. Multiple flavors. Squeeze ‘em instead of stir. Fridge not needed. Justin – you rocked my shopping cart that day! And for the past year, I’ve never not had a box of Justin’s Nut Butter in my cupboard!


I’ll skip past the convenience factor; I’m sure you get it. Instead, let’s get to the flavors. (By the way, the company’s high standards mean the highest quality, locally sourced, natural and organic ingredients for you.) The Almond Butter is available plain, or with chocolate, honey, or maple. The Peanut Butter is available plain, or with chocolate, honey, or hazelnut. I’ve tried them all and can’t think of a reason why you shouldn’t do the same! My favorite is Honey Almond on toast. But I also really enjoy Maple Almond on a banana. I was reading about “Team Justin” on the company’s website. Lance Gentry (President of the company) likes to put Maple Almond Butter on cinnamon rice cakes. Now that I know cinnamon rice cakes exist, I’m going to hunt them down so I can try this!


And it turns out I am going to belabor the convenience factor. . . How great that you can throw one of these in your bag, along with a banana, apple, rice cake, crackers, etc. and go?! As soon as I reach my desk in the morning, I forget that I have food shoved in my bag so things that won’t spoil on me are great! Remember how I said I hated having to deal with the oil/nut separation? Well, herein lies the genius of the packets: I give that little pack a few squeezes and done! Moms – this is a no-brainer. Picnic-goers, same. Portable protein; it’s perfect! Ooooh, and here’s an added tip – when you’re at the grocery store and you see the little boxes on display that the packets come in, I don’t know how the grocery store people feel about this, but I shuffle packs around and leave with an actual box full of the packs I want. Easy storage/display for you once you get home!

Individual 1.15oz packs retail for about $1 each, and I always find them at Whole Foods. For those of you who enjoy a good old jar of peanut butter that you can dig a spoon into every once in a while, Justin’s got you covered. Sixteen-ounce jars range from $6 to $10, depending on the flavor. I see the jars at most mainstream grocery store chains these days.

Time for some links:

#1 On Justin’s “Nut House” page, scroll down to the bottom of the page and take the very brief survey they link to. YOU COULD WIN A CASE OF NUT BUTTER!!! I think it would be really cool if one of my readers won because not only would they enjoy their prize, but it would prove that people read this blog of mine and actually follow links. Let’s see who’s actually still with me! [insert smiley face]
http://www.justinsnutbutter.com/nuthouse.php


#2 Here’s a link to “Nuts Near You”:
http://www.justinsnutbutter.com/shop.php



#3 Here’s a link to the Justin’s e-store (where I discovered that they now carry Justin’s Peanut Butter Cups!!!):
http://justinsnutbutter.elsstore.com/



Ok, you know what to do! Enjoy!

- E

2 comments:

  1. Alright, you got me. I went to their site to enter the survey, puttered around for a while, and saw what a great company they seem to be, too! I'm a little put-off by the single-serve packaging and waste (and cost), but they are aware too and are actively searching for and contribuiting to the research to find "green" packaging! Go Justin's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking it all out! Now I'm hoping you win the contest! - E

    ReplyDelete