Monday, November 7, 2011

Some Good Stuff!

 
Classic Bread Stuffing, courtesy of GOOP
 
 
  • Note: I used to hate stuffing. You know the "stuff"....the sticky, gloppy stuff that came from a box (or was it a tube?)....yeah, that stuff. Never cared for that stuff and convinced myself I hated stuffing because of it.  
  • Note: Now I love "my" stuffing.

  • Note: I am a disciple of Gwyneth Paltrow. Specifically, her style, her GOOP, and anything she does involving food.
  • Note: "My" stuffing is Gwyneth's stuffing.
 
This is the story of how this all came together:
 
Leading up to Thanksgiving 2009, Gwyneth had written about some of her favorite Thanksgiving dishes in her GOOP Newsletter. It seemed there was nothing extra special about her Classic Bread Stuffing. In fact, the recipe reads incredibly basic. But she did say you could use challah. Love challah! And like I said, I do what Gwyneth does. So Classic Bread Stuffing (using challah) was happening!
 
Thanksgiving Dinner 2009 was held at my tiny studio apartment in New York City. (The picture to the right is a picture of my kitchen. Yes, you can prepare a Thanksgiving feast with just 8 inches of counter space, so long as you don't mind resting pans on the top of your garbage can or on the floor. I do miss that apartment!)
 
The attendees: two of my sisters and me. The menu: Thanksgiving food, as organic and fresh as possible. I combed through my recipe files and put together a rather lovely, veggie-heavy meal. The turkey took a backseat to side dishes that year! The sautéed carrots and Brussels sprouts were nice. I was quite proud of the green bean casserole (no cans of mushroom soup here). But in my humble opinion, the pièce de résistance was the stuffing.
 
I'm a little bummed that I can't describe the taste and texture in mouth-watering detail; I don't remember the specifics. I just remember loving it! And I remember thinking that from then on, if asked to make something for Thanksgiving dinner, this would be my go-to dish. I will never be in charge of turkey. I want nothing to do with yams. My mother's mashed potatoes (with skins left on) are too good to mess with. My aunt's bread wins every time. And my pies will never look as pretty as my sister's pie. But "my" stuffing will follow me wherever I go.
 
So here it is.....this is what all this fuss is about....
 
 
Classic Bread Stuffing
Generous on the onions and fennel seeds, this stuffing is hearty and satisfying but not soggy or heavy as stuffing can sometimes be. Made with good vegetable stock, it’s vegetarian-friendly.
 
Serves: 12, with leftovers
Time: 2 hours, a lot of which is completely unattended
 
Ingredients:
· 15 cups of 1/2˝ bread cubes (challah, wholegrain, or ciabatta)
· 1/4 cup butter + 1 tablespoon cut into small pieces
· 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 1 very large onion, very finely diced (roughly 2 1/2 cups)
· 2 stalks celery, very finely diced (roughly 1/2 cup)
· 2 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
· 3/4 teaspoon celery seeds
· 2 generous tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
· 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
· 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
· 2 1/2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley
· 2 1/2 cups high-quality vegetable stock, divided
 

Preheat the oven to 300º F. Spread the bread cubes out on two cookie sheets and bake for about ten minutes or until a bit dried out, not browned.

Meanwhile, heat the 1/4 cup of butter and olive oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Add the onion, celery, fennel and celery seeds, rosemary, salt and pepper and sweat the mixture for 20 minutes, keeping the heat low enough so that the vegetables don’t color – you just want them to get soft and sweet. Turn off the heat, add the parsley and let the mixture cool for about ten minutes in the pan. Add the bread cubes and 2 cups of stock; stir to evenly distribute. Let the mixture sit for about an hour to let the flavors really get into everything (now’s a good time to work on your other Thanksgiving dishes!).

Reserve two cups of the stuffing for the turkey if desired.

Set the oven to 350º F. Put the stuffing into an ovenproof baking dish (you could even leave it in your sauté pan if it doesn’t have plastic handles – one less thing to wash!). Pour over the remaining stock and dot with the remaining tablespoon of butter. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.


Feel free to claim it as your own!

To the friends and family I will share Thanksgiving dinner with this year, get ready for the good stuff[ing]!

And Happy Thanksgiving to all!

- E

p.s. This is GOOP: http://www.goop.com/

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't help but notice that this recipe does not involve sage. Stuffing sans sage? Seeing as how I was the only sister to not attend this legendary TG dinner (seriously, will I ever hear the end of it?), I'm skeptical.

    Also, which sister are you referring to that makes "pretty pies"? I, of course, assume you mean Christina, but I'll have you know that I've adapted Mom's sour cream apple pie and it now involves oats. It's basically granola in pie form. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I'm not a huge Gwyneth Paltrow, but this stuffing looks legit. I'll give it a try and report back. I may have to save room to eat crow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING stuffing. Tastes just as good as it looks!
    Well done E and Gwynnie : )

    ReplyDelete