Sunday, June 19, 2011

Eggs-actly Right!


Last week, a friend asked me for suggestions for things she could take to a weekend picnic. The first thing that came out of my mouth: Deviled Eggs. Funny that I’d say that since I’ve never made deviled eggs for a picnic. But I do know they’re always a hit. My mother makes them for potlucks year-round!

So between that picnic discussion and the egg salad I ate all last week (thanks to a sudden inheritance of a dozen eggs that were going to go to waste), eggs were top-of-mind.

And the smart thing to do is to share with you my go-to, never-fail, perfect-every-time “recipe” for making hard-boiled eggs. Devil them up, chop ‘em up for a salad, or just add pepper . . . whatever the end-result, here’s how to start:



(Oh, and ALL credit goes to Martha Stewart! This is all Martha, from the indispensable reference book that is “The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The Original Classics,” p. 571.)


PERFECT HARD-BOILED EGGS

The foolproof method will ensure that you have bright-yellow yolks with no darkened edges, which is a sign that the eggs have been overcooked:
• Place the eggs in a small saucepan, cover with cold water, and place over high heat.
• Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute.
• Remove from the heat, and cover. Let the eggs stand for 13 minutes.
• Drain, and place in cold water until cool.
• Peel.


Oh, summer picnics and summer salads. So nice!

- E
(I promise to be back to an actual “product” next time!)

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you remember the days of me sitting at the bottom of then steps yelling for mom to make me eggs, or Grandpa's story of me ordering eggs "the way my mommy makes them" at a diner, but eggs are my favorite food. I will definitely try this recipe. Gracias!

    ReplyDelete