Saturday, June 11, 2011

Ode to Farmers' Markets



A little heart tomato.



I heart farmers' markets. Especially of the Saturday morning variety.

I love the little white tents. I love the friendly, smiley vendors. I love all the people who come out to support "buying local." From the eye-catching displays at the market tables to the visual and edible feast I enjoy at home, it's all so good and gorgeous.


Today, simply a visual essay: At Home with the Best of Today's Market Goods


Yes, I spent $28 on heirloom tomatoes!


Two types of kale.




A crusty Italian baguette. I see Sunday morning French toast in my future!


And finally, poppies!



Shop local. Love farmers' markets!

-E

4 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree with you on loving Farmer's Markets! Just curious - how do you like to prepare kale? We joined a CSA this year and our box last week had a big bunch of kale, and I can honestly say I've never cooked with it so I had no idea what to do with it. I looked up a few recipes online but none really struck me. Any favorite recipes or ideas to share? I'm guessing we'll get some more in our box next week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuuuuum! BLT on toast (or just tomato and mayo on toast).

    Debbie, ideas for kale...chop it up and saute with onions and garlic. Pour over some beat up eggs and let it set up as a frittata. Top with feta, parmesan, or any other cheese. Another idea is kale chips. Tear leaves up in 2 or 3 pieces, toss with a bit of olive oil and salt, spread on baking sheet, and bake (around 350 or 400) til crispy. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Debbie! Funny - Christina and I do the same things with kale. The kids may even like the kale chips! I also now throw raw kale into fruit smoothies. The great thing about kale is that it takes on whatever flavor you pair it with so you can add it to just about anything for a super healthy boost. I may need to do a whole blog post on glorious kale! - E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the ideas - the kale chips especially sound like a winner! I'll definitely have to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete