Tuesday, April 19, 2011

E's Breakfast Bowl, Part 2

Trader Joe’s Dried Pomegranate Seeds &

Trader Joe’s Unsalted Dry Toasted Pecan Pieces



You start with oatmeal. You might choose to add some milk. Perhaps you can’t go without brown sugar. My favorite oatmeal toppings right now? Trader Joe’s Dried Pomegranate Seeds and Trader Joe’s Unsalted Dry Toasted Pecan Pieces.

Pomegranate Seeds

I can’t remember how I heard about these.

When I lived in New York City, there was a gourmet grocery store that sold fresh pomegranate seeds (from ½ a pomegranate) in a tiny plastic container for something like $8.00. Convenient, but pricey. But oh how I loved those tangy, gorgeous seeds. So when I heard that Trader Joes’s carried dried pomegranate seeds, I couldn’t get there fast enough.

I almost missed them at the store, though; they’re not easy to spot. They’re in with other packets of dried fruit, near the nuts. (By the way, I’m not talking about the chocolate-covered pomegranate seeds!)

But these aren’t exactly plain, either. The ingredients listed on the back of the bag: dried pomegranate seeds, sugar, citric acid, pomegranate juice concentrate, lemon juice concentrate, high oleic sunflower oil. Tanginess comes from the pomegranate seeds (and juices, I’m sure). A subtle sweetness comes from the sugar. And I believe the chewy yet crunchy thing has something to do with the oil.

I’m not sure these guys are as high up on the “good for you” nutrition scale as, say, those raw, pricey numbers I found in NYC, but hey, a sprinkling of them on your oatmeal isn’t a bad thing! At $2.99 for a 6oz bag, a sprinkling a morning will last you a while! Trust me!


Pecan Pieces

Pecan pieces. Unsalted. Dry Toasted. Pretty self-explanatory.

My aunt loved pecans. She turned me on to them when I was a kid. Now I love them. Seems like walnuts are paired with oatmeal usually. But try pecans. Different. Awesome!

Also awesome is the price. Nuts can be expensive, so if you ask me, $3.99 for an 8oz bag seems reasonable!





And……that’s how E does breakfast!



- E



p.s. I know Trader Joe’s isn’t everywhere yet. Such a bummer! I have a friend who doesn’t live near a Trader Joe’s, but is such a fan of so many of their products that she’ll visit stores when she’s in other states for work, fill a box, and ship the box of goodies to her house. She doesn’t mess around!

Here’s a link to their website so you can find one closest to you: http://www.traderjoes.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment