Monday, May 2, 2011

Position yourself






I begin with an apology: I am sorry (and embarrassed) to have skipped a week of posting. I didn’t think that would happen so early on. I don’t have a decent excuse either. Pathetic!

Onward. . .
_________________________________________________


I don’t remember the last time I sat in a middle seat on an airplane.

I’ve never missed a connection because I’ve been so far back on a plane that it took too long to get off.

And most of the time, I’m pretty happy with my seat.

First-class flier? Not lately. Lucky traveler? No, not really. I just take my travel planning seriously – down to my seat assignments for every leg of a trip.

You see, not all planes are the same and not all seats are created equal. So I just can’t rely on some agent to assign me to “an aisle or a window.” Here’s an example of why: Seat 17D on an “American Airlines Canadair CRJ-700” is a window seat in the very back of the plane. Whereas, seat 17D on a “Delta Airlines Boeing 767-400” is a middle seat toward the front of a middle collection of seats in a coach section with two-aisles.

So how do I avoid a seating nightmare? As soon as I pull up my go-to travel search website, no sooner do I also pull up http://www.seatguru.com/ . (I’m sure there’s some “app” out there that does all of this, too. But I don’t do “apps.” I kick it old-school and visit websites.)

The SeatGuru tagline is “The ultimate source for airplane seating, in-flight amenities, and airline information.” Yep! Ultimate is right!

It’s incredibly easy to use! You open the site and right there, front and center, is a box that asks you to enter your flight info (airline and flight number), which eventually leads you directly to a page for the specific aircraft that will be operating your flight. From there, you will learn oh-so-much about your plane.

Just below some wordy text about your aircraft you’ll see icons that highlight some on-board amenities. And just below that, a lovely diagram of your vessel. And letters, numbers, and colors – oh, my! The Seatmap Key off to the side provides the answers to that stuff. The real fun comes when you hover your mouse over all of the little seat boxes. Some seats will be listed as a “standard economy seat,” while others have “some extra knee room but not necessarily more legroom” or “limited recline” or “can get very cold at the exits during the flight” or “passengers seated here will be the last to be served and to disembark.” See what I’m saying?!?! You spend time and money putting itineraries together, so spend time thinking about where you want to spend your time in the sky.

The only thing I can think of that SeatGuru can’t do for us? Guarantee that we won’t end up next to Chatty Cathy or Smelly Stan…..

Hook yourself (and your travel companions) up with decent seats! Knowledge is power, folks. Enjoy your flight!


- E

3 comments:

  1. Hey I’m Martin Reed,if you are ready to get a loan contact.Mr Benjamin via email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com,WhatsApp:+1 989-394-3740 I’m giving credit to Le_Meridian Funding Service .They grant me the sum 2,000,000.00 Euro. within 5 working days. Le_Meridian Funding Service  is a  group investors into pure loan and debt financing at the  returns of 1.9% to pay off your bills or buy a home Or Increase your Business. please I advise everyone out there who are in need of loan and can be reliable, trusted and capable of repaying back at the due time of funds.

    ReplyDelete