Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Lips Like Sugar

the lip scrub, by Sara Happ



Do you make any of your own cleaning products? Or beauty products? Got some sort of homemade remedy you swear by?

Want to know how to garner some attention for it? How to grab E’s attention and get written up in this here blog (ha!)? Well…


1. Concoct something simple, yet super effective


2. Put it in very simple, yet stylish packaging


3. Sell it in a cute store

That’s what Sara Happ did. She invented “the lip scrub.” And then she put it in a tiny little brown box with a tiny little white ribbon, and used a very simple font. And then I found it on display in a sweet little tea shop in New York City. Of course I bought it! (I’ll say it again: I’m a sucker for good packaging!)

I’m sure I thought I was going to gift it to someone. That would make sense since it’s all tidy and wrapped up to begin with. But….I figured I should try it out first. You know, review it. And then I fell in love.

Yes, you could make some version of this at home using Vaseline and sugar. I love to think that I would do that. But do I ever actually get around to doing it? No. I wonder, though, if a homemade version could be as effective. Sara Happ nails it on her ratio of petrolatum (the Vaseline-like stuff) and exfoliating sugar granules.

Oh, by the way, when you read “the lip scrub” aloud, “the” should rhyme with “me.” It’s the lip scrub (says E). It’s that good!

I’ve used it the same way from the get-go:

1. Before getting in the shower, I rub a bit of it in little circles all over my lips.


2. Then, I rub my lips together for about a minute or so. Helps the exfoliation.


3. By the time I’m washing my face, most of the little sugar granules have melted away and I’m left wish super soft lips. See - no dryness or chappiness here! (And just to be clear - - there were no enhancements, touch-ups or lip balm used in the making of this photo. Real, plain lips here! Thank you, Sara Happ!)




As Sara Happ herself states in her marketing: “Wonder how you ever lived without it.” Exactly!


Visit Sara Happ’s website to find out where to buy “the lip scrub”: http://www.sarahapp.com/index.php If you’d rather shop for it online, the website provides links to stores that sell it online. A 1oz. container retails for $24 (cute little brown box with a tiny little white ribbon, included). Several flavors available (E loves almond crème).

I close today with a shout-out to Echo & The Bunnymen: Thank you for writing a song that’s bound to be stuck in at least one reader’s head all day. It’ll keep “the lip scrub” top-of-mind!

“Lips like sugar….sugar kisses….”

- E

No comments:

Post a Comment